Saturday, February 21, 2009

Life and Lemon Foot

Jane and I have been having some great conversations in the past two days. I'm glad because I feel that I've been losing touch with people. I am a person who lives most of my life inside my head, and it's easy for me to forget that a real world exists outside of the labyrinthine mess between my ears. This past month and a half has been so devoid of meaningful conversation that I was beginning to believe everyone but me was an empty walking shell. In my mind I am constantly kicking and screaming and wrestling with myself, so when I see other people who appear calm and collected I am easily fooled into believing that they aren't experiencing the same thing.

That's why it was nice when Jane and I went out for drinks the other night and discussed life. It made me realize that I'm not the only one grappling with my future and myself. We're all constantly searching for some sort of meaning in our lives, and we're always second guessing ourselves. It was nice to hear about someone else's struggles for once, and try to offer some advice, as unqualified as I may be to give it. It felt good just talking to Jane. The moral of the story is that it's good to have a friend.

On another note, sometimes I can't believe how much of an idiot I am. Here's what happened. Whenever I go to buy ice cream near the Stanford center, I always see a flavor called "pie de limón", which literally translated means "lemon foot". Now, any rational human would instantly ask, "WTF is lemon foot?" and insist that "lemon foot"-flavored ice cream could not possibly exist. Then that person would rationally conclude that "pie" must be a reference to the English word "pie", and not the translation "foot". Turns out that since the word for pie does not exist in Spanish, they just stole the English word "pie" from us.

Last night I went to a karaoke bar with Elfego because he had been craving some mariachi sing-along. Turns out the place was pretty cool. They gave us free appetizers and pisco sours, and we sang our little hearts out. My song options were limited since I don't know any Spanish tunes, and the only English offerings were along the lines of Elton John, Celine Dion, and Christina Aguilera. Quite a selection. I finally opted for "All By Myself", but only after several pisco sours had significantly boosted my confidence level. The Chilenos in the room got a kick out of the gringa and the chicano and encouraged us to come back again sometime. I think I might.

3 comments:

  1. you have ADD but I'm glad because this was like three posts in one.
    I'm so happy you have a blog now. Also, beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. Was Jane commenting drunk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo, if you go to the karaoke bar again, you should take myself (and probably Ogo) with you!

    ReplyDelete