Thursday, February 19, 2009

Street-Walking Creatures of the Night

My blog has not even existed for 24 hours and I already have enough new material to make my second post. This time it regards transvestite prostitutes and cockroaches.

Jane and I spent a pleasant evening having drinks at my favorite outdoor bar near the Pedro de Valdivia metro stop, which is in a relatively nice middle class part of Santiago, in the commune of Providencia. One would not expect prostitutes to be selling their wares in this part of town. However, as we were making our way home, we came across two very tall, skinny, and blonde women standing on the street corner. Well, standing isn't the right word. I think oozing is better. They were oozing. Their heels were so high that they couldn't walk properly. They reminded me of drunken felines prancing around in heat. One of the girls was wearing a skirt that covered only the top part of her ass. I must admit that she did indeed have a nice ass and great legs, and a lovely blonde wig. However, once I came within five feet of her I realized that she was a he. He had a nice ass and great legs. As Jane and I walked by, he greeted us with a suggestive "hola", to which I also responded "hola", although as unsuggestively as possible so as to avoid any strange lesbian/gay/heterosexual/WTF advances. After this encounter, Jane asked, "How are you supposed to respond when a prostitute says hello?" That is a good question. But I think that the answer is to respond normally, maybe try to ignore the fact that a dude is wearing a half mini-skirt and a blonde wig and high heels, and just pretend you're at a business meeting. "Hello there." "Why, hello to you too." And then be on your way. Jane also wanted to know whether that prostitute was trying to sell himself to us, to which I did not know how to respond. How does that work? Does a trannie prostitute only solicit males, or does he also offer his services to females? And once a client realizes that the prostitute is really a male, does he still want to purchase the prostitute's services? This business of prostitution is more complicated than I thought. But that being said, I do feel a bit sorry for prostitutes. As enthusiastic as those two prostitutes appeared to be about the fact that they were standing on a street corner in uncomfortable heels and tasteless clothes, I am just not sure if someone would really choose the business of prostitution out of a desire for constant sex or because he/she has no moral foundations. I imagine prostitutes are pretty desperate. I realize that what I am saying is painfully obvious to anyone with common sense, but still, I never really hear anyone talking about it. Just because prostitutes are prostitutes, does that mean they are bad people? A little weird maybe, but bad?

Now, on to the cockroaches. Anyone who knows me knows that I hate cockroaches. I've said it before and I'll say it again: cockroaches are evolutionary abominations that deserve to be wiped out as a species. Anything that could survive a nuclear holocaust is a freak of nature in my book. The reason I mention this is because while walking down the street near my house tonight, Jane pointed out a number of cockroaches skittering around like little sons of bitches. They were everywhere. I swear I saw about eight cockroaches in one square meter of pavement. Sure, it's nighttime, and where darkness falls cockroaches reign. But to find out that so many cockroaches live literally within a few yards of my house is too much for me to handle. All I have to say to you, Jane, is this: why? Why did you have to draw my attention to the pavement? Why couldn't you let me continue living in ignorance to the fact that cockroaches are among us?

Prostitutes and cockroaches: street-walking creatures of the night.

2 comments:

  1. Personally I really have no pity for prostitutes. It's just another job (career?). Granted, I watched a 1 1/2 hour documentary about the "pimp" industry and how it's an efficient form of business organization. As long as the prostitutes are managing their money well and see it as a job rather than feel sorry for themselves, it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Open your eyes Buff! You can't have your latte the way you want any more! You can't even have your latte! Cockroaches are the REAL world!

    So welcome to life!

    love,
    Tahir Shah

    ReplyDelete