Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Awana Kancha

On a lighter note, my Tahir Shah-inspired dream of working on a llama farm in Peru is gradually becoming a reality. At the risk of jinxing this whole thing (knock on wood), I have been corresponding with one of the owners of a llama farm in the Sacred Valley. He responded positively, and he is going to bring the subject up in a committee meeting next week. He said he should have a definite yes or no for me by next week, so I am keeping my fingers crossed until then. Based on what he has told me, it appears that the rest of the staff will be receptive to the idea. He even told me he already has a place for me to live while I'm working there. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up yet, but it's a little difficult when such cute animals are involved.

I should elaborate a bit about the llama farm I am talking about. It's called Awana Kancha, and it's located in the Sacred Valley of Peru (near Macchu Picchu) outside the city of Cuzco. I came across it during a pathetically vague Google search (key word: "llama farm Peru"), which produced a shit ton of results about tours to llama farms. Most of the results were long-winded travel blogs written by retired white Americans. In any other circumstance no one would have ever read these blogs, but fate drew me to one of them, and I discovered t
he name Awana Kancha. It turns out that Awana Kancha is a pretty famous camelid (read: llamas and the like) farm, known for its traditional weaving. I found the website, read up on it, decided I wanted to work there, and that was that. I've also found quite a few youtube videos about Awana Kancha, and the place looks pretty legit. I hope this plan works out, because that would be frickin' sweet. But as for now, it's up to the owners of Awana Kancha to decide my destiny.



1 comment:

  1. You should check out i-to-i travel bcause I am actually going to be volunteering at Awana Kancha this June through them. They offer short and long term stays around the world. Since I haven't done it yet, I don't know whether it will be awesome or not, but I thought I would let you know. You can find info at: http://www.i-to-i.com/volunteer-projects/machu-picchu-camel-conservation.html

    ReplyDelete