Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Canada Finally Did Something Mildly Interesting

Now, I know I like to hate on Canada for being a more boring, less war-prone version of the United States. But I have to hand it to Canadians for making damn good airplanes. My 11-hour flight from Canada to Chile has converted me to Air Canada. Contrary to what I would have thought (maybe because I'm more nationalistic than I'd like to admit), Air Canada is far superior to any American airline I have used.

First of all, it appears that every air craft utilized by Air Canada (and not just the Boeing 777 in the case of other American airlines) features individual TVs mounted on the back of every seat, which becomes really effing important when you have insomnia on a flight that is 10+ hours long. Second, I noticed as I was passing through first class on my way to economy class (hey, f@#$ you, rich snobs in first class) that the seats in first class are like little space cubbies. Air Canada totally p'owns American Airlines and United in terms of first class seats. What white male business executive or face-lifted ho with a sugar daddy wouldn't want a space-age style first class seat? (The reason I mention white male business executives and hos with sugar daddies is because these are the types I usually see in first class). Air Canada sure knows how to treat its first class passengers.

Also, Air Canada airplanes have
mood lighting. Okay? We're talking real mood lighting. As I was sitting in the airplane waiting for our departure from Toronto, I noticed that the lighting in the cabin faded from plain old yellow to violet. WTF? I can't imagine how many millions of dollars Air Canada had to spend just to install mood lighting in its air crafts. But damn, it sure put me in a good mood.

In terms of comparative advantages, that's about all Air Canada has on other airlines, but that's enough for me. Well, I guess I forgot to count the fact that Air Canada airplanes have big red maple leaves on them, which is cool.

But in the end, who really gives a shit about airplane accoutrements? I don't know why I have wasted the last 10 minutes on this subject. But too late.

1 comment:

  1. You need to check out virgin airlines. It might give you confidence in America again.

    I Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete